Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring

Chalk. Pollen. Flowers. Dust. Perfume. Even the puffing lint from the tissues, irritate my nose. No doubt it is spring. I like spring, other then the allergies, its not bad! When spring is thought of, what do you think of? For me, walking the street to class, I smelled fresh cut grass in the muggy heat and reflection off the asphalt. That me riding my bike or scooter up and down the road as dad cute the grass. My bare feet skim onto of the rough black top from time to time, leaving behind specimens of skin, creating rough and sometimes red spots on my toes. Passing a Bradford Pear tree recalls thoughts of scooting up underneath the corn Pear tree on our house, scouring for caterpillars. Taking clear plastic hermit crab cages, I would create the optimal dwelling space for the little multi legged creature. Their plump elongate bodies with grey brown and yellow stripes were dropped into a maze of rocks, twigs, and leaves, with a splash of water to create humidity. There they would sit until they spun a cocoon or died. I can still smell that strong tangy smell of hovering over the cage and taking in the sight of nature taking its course. When I return to my apartment, my new puppy is sitting eagerly waiting to go out and romp around the river. Her playfulness and spunk brings back the thought of my most faithful dog, Bama. The hours he spent outside with me. The times we dressed him up, and the befuddlement of me at a young age as to why we could not name a boy dog Alison. But in the end, it all worked out, and that was simply the best dog I have ever had. I love spring. I love fall better, but spring is the next best season.

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold:  when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.  ~Charles Dickens

He said it best. Thats this time of year in a nutshell. Summer in the light, winter in the shade. Its that time of year where a sweater it needed in the morning and a tank in the afternoon. When last night rolled around, a warm thick breeze blew as I walked Pairie around the dog walk. The air smelled heavy of purple Wisteria, small snowflake grapes hanging down from a vine. Nothing seems to be complimenting the night, its meshes, but doesn’t reflect the darkness. Illuminated and warm, nothing like the cold black nights that have been the norm as of late. Later that night a spring shower flowed through. Being on the top floor I was able to hear the patter of water splattering on the top of my building and windows. The last walk of the night was ushered in with a cooler breeze. The rain had brought the lower temperatures. But soon, all will be hot and muggy, thick and pasty. Warm in the day, morning, evening and night. It will be a heat that suppresses yet stirs to action bugs and aunts.
So enjoy the spring. The sneezing and the coughing, because soon the allergies will be gone, and the heat stroke will be here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! They make it more interesting!